- Doing Town Business
- Community Development
- Flood Information
- Flood Mitigation Assistance
Flood Mitigation Assistance
Flood Mitigation Assistance program
The Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) Program is a National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) initiative administered by the Florida Department of Emergency Management to help communities identify and implement measures to reduce or eliminate the long-term risk of flood damage to homes and other structures insurable under the National Flood Insurance Program.
The Town of Fort Myers Beach assists property owners who have a current flood insurance policy, and have a documented history of flood damages. Special consideration is given to owners of "repetitive flood loss" properties. The FMA program is a competitive grant, awarded annually based on the availability of Federal and State funds and the availability of local resources to administer the program. The program provides homeowners with reasonable, cost-effective hazard mitigation options and potential public/private financing alternatives.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency contributes up to 75% of eligible mitigation costs. The remaining 25% must come from non-federal sources. The homeowner must contribute at least 12.5%. At the present time, the Town of Fort Myers Beach requires the homeowner to contribute the full non-federal share.
The application period for FMA grant applications typically opens in March and closes in May to the Town of Fort Myers Beach. We must process the applications and submit them digitally to FDEM typically by June. FDEM will forward eligible applications to FEMA for funding consideration.
Examples of flood mitigation projects that might qualify for FMA funding assistance include:
- Elevation of flood prone structures
- Relocation of flood prone structures
- Demolition (with or without rebuilding at higher elevation)
- Acquisition (land becomes dedicated open space)
- Various flood proofing measures.
For further information on grant cycles and application procedures, go to https://www.floridadisaster.org/dem/mitigation/flood-mitigation-assistance-program/
Repetitive Flood Loss Program
This program provides pre-disaster funding for mitigation projects at 100% Federal Funding.
Hazard Mitigation Grant Program
HMGP funds become available after a Presidential Disaster declaration and can be used to fund projects to protect either public or private property such as flood proofing or installation of hurricane shutters or property acquisition, relocation, or elevation to protect structures from future disasters.
Another source of financial assistance available to a flood policy holder of a repetitive loss property is Increased Cost of Compliance funding. This rider on your flood policy provides additional coverage to help underwrite a flood mitigation project required by code as a condition to rebuild the damaged building. It can also help pay the non-federal portion of a cost-shared retrofitting project funded under the mitigation programs described above. ICC coverage provides up to $30,000 to help pay the costs to bring their home or business into compliance with their community's floodplain ordinance.